Extremely Linden

Tuesday, July 25, 2006

What should I do with a dream ticket?

As you may know, when looking for sources of funding for work such as Red Cafe, one place we don't approach is the National Lottery. But I have a dilemma...

In the post last week, an envolope arrived at Red Cafe from the National Lottery advertising a new game to help raise money for the 2012 Olympics. It contained a lottery ticket with a "Dream Number". All I have to do is match my 7 given numbers with the numbers drawn. The more that match the more I win. I can even play on-line. However, we don't do the lottery...

But I haven't bought the ticket, it just arrived in the post. Would it be wrong to go onto the lottery website just to have a look in case we've won? If we've won £2 perhaps we wouldn't take it but would we turn down £500,000? Or is it the principle? What if I've got a winning ticket and I never knew?

Kristina

6 Comments:

At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose that it comes down to where the problem lies with gambling - is it the fact that you're spending money on chance, or would it be receiving money that hasn't been earned? I'll admit that I've never looked into the Biblical principles behind it.

However, I'm pretty sure that curiosity would make me have a look to see if I'd won!

 
At 1:24 AM, Blogger Liz Hinds said...

I'm not anti-Lottery on biblical principles (as far as I know!), I'm just anti-Lottery.

I would throw it away if I received one. I think ...

You should probably consult the leaders and the trustees and call a special general meeting of the church at which a decision could be made. It could end with either a ceremonial tearing up of the ticket or a grand opening.

 
At 1:27 AM, Blogger Liz Hinds said...

That was interesting - my word verification was ankka. Who or what is your anchor? What is your faith in? Hmm, very significant - if you're a) looking for a sign from God, or b) superstitious.

 
At 1:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm anti-Lottery on non-Biblical grounds, as well - it's just a £1 weekly tax on poor people, as far as I'm concerned!

 
At 5:36 AM, Blogger fools' cap said...

Just an aside: "ankka" is duck in Finnish...

 
At 5:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i always thought the reason we shouldnt gamble was because in essence our possessions (including money) belong to God, so surely if we are given something and we win from it, we havent wasted anything of Gods in order to get this, so the thing to do with the winnnings is use them to glorify god?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home